POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : concept to visualization : Re: concept to visualization Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:30:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: concept to visualization
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 19 Aug 2000 03:58:55
Message: <399E3EAB.27810E7C@ij.net>
Anton Sherwood wrote:

> This gives me an idea that I'll never follow up ...
>
> Among the screensavers that came with Red Hat is "Demon", by David
> Bagley.
> (http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/screenshots.html)  It's a cellular
> automaton which a simple rule (that baffled me until I read about it
> elsewhere): If the color next after yours appears on any neighboring
> cell, change to that color.  Spirals almost always result.

	Have to look at that one.

> So my thought is: make a moving hf, where the height is the sine of the
> phase (color).  Initialize randomly, and watch lakes sloshing around,
> nibbling gradually at their chaotic edges until they join to form the
> spirals.

	I can say this now that I have run it a few times and more
iterations. As it is a real number +/- 0.5, I have yet to find a
number that is +/- 10.0 or greater. Lots of +/- 9.xxx's. That
indicates a valid random number generator to me while I consider
the 256x256 a test of calling it.

	Something I did not mention, I have to kill apps and 'sync' else
povray complains that it has run out of RAM at 128M of same.

	That said, I don't quite see what you are saying.

	But I could do the pigment {color calculated} and dark to light
blue between -10 and +10 to make a shot at waves.

--
If you quit smoking now you can live long enough
to get Altzheimer's.