POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Newbi : Re: Newbi Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbi
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 18 Aug 2000 08:44:16
Message: <399D3070.E63B34AC@mailbag.com>
Matt Giwer wrote:

> root wrote:
> >
> > Mark Gordon wrote:
> >
> > > root wrote:
> > >
> > > Almighty root, I bow before your power...
> > >
> > > Assuming you have the binary package (povlinux.tgz), this will create a
> > > directory called "povray31" when uncompressed.  Then do the following
> > > ("$" represents a normal shell prompt, and # represents a root shell
> > > prompt, assuming you normally use a regular user account):
> > >
> > > $ cd povray31
> > > $ cp povray.ini ~/.povrayrc
> > > $ su
> > > Password:
> > > # ./install
> > > # exit
> > >
> > > That should suffice.  If you have any other questions, let me know.
> > >
> > > -Mark Gordon
> >
> > [root@modemcable021 povray31]# cp povray.ini ~/.povrayrc
> > [root@modemcable021 povray31]# ./install

> > type                               / This is no file or directory found in
> >
> > french

> > This is wahat I do...
>
>         Also in the .ini file specify the full path to the .inc files.
> It does not like ~/povray/include but insists upon the full path.

I'm only using ~ in an argument to cp, which ought to work fine from a $
prompt in Linux (since Linux defaults to bash, which supports ~, and
someone would have to work very hard to get vanilla Bourne shell in
Linux).  Since POV-Ray isn't a shell, it does want full paths in the
configuration files.

> Were I the king, any includes in the name.POV would default to
> wherever
>
> make install
>
>         put them but it does not appear to do that.

The problem is that I typically have foo.inc and foo.pov (both of which
I wrote myself) in ~/povstuff/foo.  Most users won't have write access
to /usr/local/lib/povray31, which is where stuff gets installed.

-Mark Gordon