POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : pov-ray binary missing in povlinux.tar : Re: pov-ray binary missing in povlinux.tar Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:31:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov-ray binary missing in povlinux.tar
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 18 Aug 2000 08:37:17
Message: <399D2ECE.CA16DC89@mailbag.com>
Matt Giwer wrote:

> Mark Gordon wrote:
> >
> > paul hansen wrote:
> >
> > > I was asking a question regarding whether povlinux.tar is supposed to contain a
> > > povray binary.
> >
> > Since Linux users are assumed to have X, and you can turn off the
> > display, we have traditionally not included the x-povray binary in
> > povlinux.tgz.  It saves space and bandwidth.  The install script was
> > written to be generic, which is why it installs the generic console
> > povray binary if it is present.
>
>         May I suggest rethinking that?
>
>         Redhat has some 70% of the market at the moment and configures
> with the x11 option as the default boot up.

Typo - povlinux.tgz currently comes with x-povray and s-povray but not
the vanilla console povray paul was asking about (which can easily be
emulated with x-povray -d, but still requires X libraries).  So we're
already doing what you suggest.  Besides which, there's only going to be
one Unix binary (per platform) in future releases - no more
povray/x-povray/s-povray, just povray.

-Mark Gordon