POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : object oriented features : Re: object oriented features Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:35:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: object oriented features
From: Mikael Carneholm
Date: 18 Aug 2000 04:58:57
Message: <399CFAC7.66596B2A@ida.utb.hb.se>
Abe Heckenbach wrote:

>    6. why not give each object, including group objects, and cameras a
> name, so it can be easily referenced later(so it can be removed, moved,
> scaled, change properties like color...(animator's might like this;>)

This is in the direction of OO-features in the scene language - a popular(?)
topic in these groups. I think what you're thinking of is something like
this:

#declare Foo=difference{
  box{1,-1}
  union{
    sphere{0, 0.5 translate x*1}
    sphere{0, 0.5 translate x*-1}
  }
}

#declare Foo.subobject[1].subobject[0].scale=2;
#declare Foo.subobject[1].subobject[1].location=<-1,1,0>;
#declare Foo.pigment=color{rgb 1};
// etc.

This is exactly the type of features I'd like to see as well - BUT, not for
the price of leaving backwards-compability behind.

(See my longer post in the "Object oriented POV scene language?" thread.)

Mikael Carneholm, B.Sc.
Dep. of Computer Science and Business Administration

Personal homepage:
http://www.studenter.hb.se/~arch
E-mail:
sa9### [at] idautbhbse