POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Near Earth comet try (fail?) [~45KB Jpg] : Re: Near Earth comet try (fail?) [~45KB Jpg] Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Near Earth comet try (fail?) [~45KB Jpg]
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Aug 2000 02:29:49
Message: <399791dd@news.povray.org>
"Jetlag" <bga### [at] microsoftcom> wrote in message
| I may be wrong, but I don't believe stars should be visible. Either that
or
| Earth should be completely washed out. If you can find a photograph that
| shows otherwise I'd like to see it. Oh and shouldn't the comet have two
| tails (unless its headed straight for the sun)?

Hi there, glad you liked it despite the shortcomings  :-)
Yes, I know, two tails.  One for dust, other for plasma, I think is how it
goes.  But I was having a tough enough time merging together the inner and
outer coma and tail as it was.  Some comets like Hale-Bopp had a great
separation of the two.  Halley's seems to not have had any from what I saw
while looking at a few photos.
Not really going for a photographic look to begin with actually.  That would
make for a oversaturated coma and very bright tail.  Along with the washed
out Earth, as you said.  Think unreal realism  :-)  Well, whatever...
Maybe I can get it looking better later, maybe not.  This is not the sort of
thing I find easy to try since it's not totally fantasy and not completely
humanly observable.

Bob