POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Near Earth comet try (fail?) [~45KB Jpg] : Re: Near Earth comet try (fail?) [~45KB Jpg] Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Near Earth comet try (fail?) [~45KB Jpg]
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Aug 2000 01:58:06
Message: <39978a6e@news.povray.org>
"Anton Sherwood" <bro### [at] poboxcom> wrote in message
| I haven't seen swirls like that in a comet's tail.

The tail was at first fairly featureless, but I wanted to get a chaotic one
for this.
I was going to put a link to a good example of comets here but didn't find
any really fine photos, Hale-Bopp abounds on the internet apparently, and
most are homegrown pictures, so I gave up.  I believe Comet Halley might be
a good example of a turbulent tail although what I have seen is more
streamer-like.  I should probably do a little more research anyway.  The
coma area might be totally wrong for that matter and should perhaps not be
extending beyond the width of the tail itself at that point.
The real difficulty is getting a unaided eye appearance, all guess-work.

| By the way, the Moon's surface is much dimmer than that in comparison to
| the Earth;

I know, accept to brighten the Earth up so much in relation to the Moon
looked wrong, or would look wrong to the casual viewer anyhow.  I had a
dimmer Moon too and that's the same circumstance.  So I compromised and went
with unreality (easiest!).

Bob