POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Who uses POV ray? : Re: Who uses POV ray? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who uses POV ray?
From: Brendan Hurley
Date: 12 Aug 2000 11:44:31
Message: <3995710D.9C59CB66@saber.net>
Dear Adam and Folks,

Adam wrote:
>    What kind of people use Povray?...
[snip]

This is the most interesting, non-techical POV question in a long time.

I consider myself to be an artist.  I've been drawing with pen-and-ink,
ball points, felt tips, pencils since I was able to hold them.  In high
school I practiced with oils, acrylics, chalks, water paints, etc.  I
would rate myself (IMHO) a B+/A- artist.  But I'm also lazy.  I can
visualize a scene or admire someone else's work and I know I could do
that or better, but quality work requires lots of time.  So my work over
the years has been spotty.  And I'm also poor, I could never afford all
the materials needed.  The free nature of the POV program is a deffinite
plus.

In college I studied programming and discovered various graphics and
drawing programs.  Here was a partial solution to my personal
weaknesses: let the computer do all the detail work, coloring (i.e.
texturing), perspectives, lighting. Then I can concentrate on
composition and content.  POV was a gift from the Gods of Programming:
software that requires detailed planning and organizing and then
produces excellent quality images.

I use POV for fun, for artistic satisfaction, for personal
gratification.  My obsessive/compulsive personality delights in writing
detailed source code with extensive comments, all percisely indented,
aligned, and annotated.  My creative imagination is satisfied by making
visions come to life in almost-perfect realism.  My male need to belong
to a group of like-minded and like-talented people is gratified by being
part of the international POV community.

Thanx for starting this interesting discussion.

Blessings,
           Brendan

--
Michael Brendan Hurley