POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Who uses POV ray? : Re: Who uses POV ray? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who uses POV ray?
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 12 Aug 2000 05:37:21
Message: <39950CCB.27122449@peak.edu.ee>
Adam wrote:

>    What kind of people use Povray? I keep hearing about this "certain
> niche," but more specifically... I don't see many female users for
> instance.

Users are hobbyists, mainly. But there are many ways to use POV, and many kinds
of users: programmers, artists, engineers, mathematicians etc. While many users
participate in these newsgroups, many more do not. Three of my friends (one of
them female) use POV fairly frequently. I have of course told them about the
newsgroups, but they still prefer bothering me over the phone.

> Also, the program doesn't seem to be well suited for
> Engineering, drafting, or even designing real-life objects.

This cannot be stressed enough: the task of POV is to render a picutre. Those
things you describe are jobs for a modelling program like Rhino, who create the
input for renderers like POV.

>    So what does that leave us with? Artists who want total control over
> the scene? Computer programmers who simply want to challenge themselves?

I'd say POV works best for someone who has both artistic talent and programming
skill. The programmatic constructs POV can produce are not possible with most
other 3D packages.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee