POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Test Rendering : The Vases Improved : Re: Test Rendering : The Vases Improved Server Time
1 Oct 2024 22:28:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test Rendering : The Vases Improved
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 11 Aug 2000 11:35:18
Message: <39941C4E.C2C82AA1@inapg.inra.fr>
Fabian BRAU wrote:

> I already saw some attempt to create wood
> with hieghtfield, the result was more or less good but it took
> several weeks for the guy to get a "good" result so...

But does displacement mapping solves the problem of having a good displacement map
in the first place ?
For me the main problem in using isosurfaces for displacement mapping in Megapov
is that it is restricted to what isosurfaces can do. For instance, using it on CSG
is not straigthforward, if not impossible. The second problem is that it's not
fast. Otherwise it's not that complicated.

Below is a setup for a floor with displacement mapping in Megapov (equivalent to a
height field).
#declare hf=function{pigment{image_map{png "floorbump" interpolate 2} rotate
x*90}}
#declare rs=0.005;
isosurface{function{y - hf(x,y,z)*rs } contained_by{box{<-2,-1,-1>,<2,1,2>}}
threshold 0    rotate x*-90
        texture{pigment{image_map{png "floormap"}} finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0.8
specular 0.2 roughness 0.1} rotate x*90 }
}

And a picture here (uses official focal blur, official caustics, a big image map
for the texture and another big one for the displacement).

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'parquet.jpg' (30 KB)

Preview of image 'parquet.jpg'