POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Who uses POV ray? : Re: Who uses POV ray? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who uses POV ray?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 11 Aug 2000 04:24:37
Message: <3993B758.410888ED@inapg.inra.fr>
Adam wrote:

>    What kind of people use Povray? I keep hearing about this "certain
> niche," but more specifically...

In addition to what other people said, there are non-hobby applications of
Povray, usually in the education area. I've seen it being used for teaching
math, chemistry, architecture, physics and biology, for instance. Two
examples among many others :
http://ampere.scale.uiuc.edu/~m-lexa/cell/cell.html
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~andrbh/raytrace/raytrace.html

Povray is also used is by people who have to make technical 3D images in
sectors where 3D professional renderers are unknown.

About commercial use, it's certainly not competitive due to the long
development process, however a few of us sell images to art patrons,
galleries, or companies. As a matter a fact, I just finished a book cover
for a scientific editor.

G.