POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Test Rendering : The Vases Improved : Re: Test Rendering : The Vases Improved Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test Rendering : The Vases Improved
From: Fabian BRAU
Date: 11 Aug 2000 03:49:56
Message: <3993B00E.58506BA5@umh.ac.be>

> How did you make the wood?

Image map + bump map. And rework with photoshop.

> I think the reason why the vases look like they
> were photoshopped in is because the surfaceof the wood meets the vase in a
> simple curve, so the wood suddenly has to be flat.

This is a well known problem with povray : normals!

In other soft you can use displacement map and you have real
elevation, just by using the bump map. With povray, this is
more tricky because you need isosurface or heightfield. Which
is more difficult. I already saw some attempt to create wood
with hieghtfield, the result was more or less good but it took
several weeks for the guy to get a "good" result so...
With a displacement map it take you no more time that with the
present bump map.

Fabian.

> I really really love these
> textures.

Thanks a lot. This was just the purpose of these images :
test texture :).

Fabian.