POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : cloudy sky animation [320kb] : Re: cloudy sky animation [320kb] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:29:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cloudy sky animation [320kb]
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 10 Aug 2000 23:11:59
Message: <39936eff@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" <Chr### [at] schunteretctu-bsde> wrote in
message news:399328A9.CD76903C@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de...

| Mike wrote:
| >
| > Just goofing around trying to make a decent glow for the sun.  The glow
| > fades as the light is obscured by the clouds - courtesy of a little hack
| > to do_phong (doesn't check that the light is in front of the object
| > anymore, hee hee).
|
| Looks good, but the sun needs to shine more trough the clouds at the
edges,
| right now, the glow immediately stops, when the sun comes near a cloud's
edge.

| Furthermore, the clouds themselves should glow at the edges near the sun,
that
| could be obtained by using a pigment that is not translated with the
clouds.

That is neat.  Now I see what you were talking about at the chat room.
Media might do a good job of having a glowing edge to the clouds, but then
there goes the use of a phong highlighting on the shadow side.
This sort of opposite-side-of-lightsource highlighting could be a great
feature.  Many times I've wanted to show a normal on the shadow side of a
semi-transparent object.

Bob