POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Metal texture speed problems (~20kb) : Re: Metal texture speed problems (~20kb) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metal texture speed problems (~20kb)
From: Rune
Date: 10 Aug 2000 13:09:07
Message: <3992e1b3@news.povray.org>
"Mark James Lewin" wrote:
> Thanks Rune. I thought of using wood or onion, but the good
> thing about spiral is that in addition to giving the nice radial
> pattern on the face of the metal cylinder, it _also_ gives fine
> grooves along the length of the metal cylinder.

Yes, that's an advantage. With my method you have to use different textures
for the "faces" and the "lengths".

> Could you please give a quick example of the averaging of
> normals method? I don't quite follow.

I had forgot some details about my method - it's a bit more complicated. You
average whole textures instead.

The attached image was rendered without AA at all, and it took 25 seconds to
render. The effect is a bit different than yours, but it might work for you
with some modifications.

If you're still interested, I can post the code of you like.

Greetings,

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated July 23)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org