POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where do I start? : Re: Where do I start? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where do I start?
From: 25ct
Date: 9 Aug 2000 09:18:11
Message: <39915a13@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" <Chr### [at] schunteretctu-bsde> wrote in
message news:39914DFA.99A99BB8@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de...

> 25ct wrote:
> >
> [...]
> >    Lastly, and this no slur on the team at Pov-ray,(I'm sure they do a
great
> > job), do you think that the prizes for the competition could be
up-graded so
> > as to attract more entrants? I'm just thinking that there are, say for
> > example, surfing competitions that pay out quite a lot of money to the
> > winner.  It just seems that a lot of work goes into these images, ref:
the
> > pearl harbour one, that must have taken ages.(It's brilliant as well!)
> >    Just a thought.
> >                                 ~25ct~
>
> I think, it's good as it is now, because the competition should not be
mainly
> about winning but about taking part.  Also more expensive prices would
require
> much more sponsoring.

     Yes, Christoph, I digress, I totally agree with you about the taking
part. It's just that being new to this, I am amazed to see that such a lot
of work goes into the images that my first thoughts were that the winners
'deserve' something good for their troubles, therefore my question. Ooooh
dear, I'm digging myself in deep here aren't I?
   (Apologies Pov Team.  :o)

> You should probably not compare it to surfing competitions, because the
IRTC is
> neither a commercial competition (entry fees, preselection, ...) , nor
does
> raytracing require expensive material (well, thats only partly true of
course
> :-)
>
> Christoph

       Yes, you are quite right. I was wrong to compare the two.
   I'm not doing very well as a newbie am I Christoph? :o)

          All the best,  ~25ct~ (Steve)