POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where do I start? : Re: Where do I start? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where do I start?
From: 25ct
Date: 9 Aug 2000 07:52:28
Message: <399145fc@news.povray.org>
"Phil Clute" <pcl### [at] tiacnet> wrote in message
> > i've subscribed to po.announce.faq, po.programming, and
> > po.windows.
>
> povray.programming  has more to do with the source code that makes
> up povray and not the scene description language used to make pictures.
> So unless your interested in making modifications to povray the program,
> that's probably not what your looking for. If you have questions
> regarding
> the scene description language that aren't answered or aren't clear in
> the documentation, FAQ newsgroup or website tutorials then the
> povray.newusers
> group or povray.general are good places to find help from other users.
>
> Also don't forget to subscribe to povray.binaries.images that's where
> all kinds of cool pictures are being developed.
>
> Welcome to the gang!

     Thanks Phil. I understand now, so I will unsubscribe to that one.
     I've now downloaded Pov-ray, and I am slowly picking my way through it.
It's not something that I am used to at all, but I can see that 3/5 years
down the line that people will become proficient at it, or less time maybe.
    Having looked at the entrants to the competition, I am even more
interested in it. I usually mess around with PS 5, and come up with some
quite good pics, but this Pov-ray is a whole new ball game!
    A couple of quick questions if I may, Phil. I have an error at the start
of the help section. All of the help is there, it's just that when I go to
the next stages, this error message always pops up, do I go back to the
Pov-ray website, and e-mail them about it?
   Lastly, and this no slur on the team at Pov-ray,(I'm sure they do a great
job), do you think that the prizes for the competition could be up-graded so
as to attract more entrants? I'm just thinking that there are, say for
example, surfing competitions that pay out quite a lot of money to the
winner.  It just seems that a lot of work goes into these images, ref: the
pearl harbour one, that must have taken ages.(It's brilliant as well!)
   Just a thought.
                                ~25ct~
> --
> Phil
> ...coffee?...yes please! extra sugar,extra cream...Thank you.

   Yes please mate! Cream and two sugars.  :o)