POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPatch and WIN98 lockups : MegaPatch and WIN98 lockups Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  MegaPatch and WIN98 lockups
From: GrimDude
Date: 8 Aug 2000 02:39:04
Message: <398fab08@news.povray.org>
I came across a fix in a CST troubleshooting guide. MP.5 and SP occasionally
lockup my system.They are not the only two programs that do that, so I went
looking for a fix. I have tried this for over two weeks now, with great
success.

First, I am running a Compaq Presario w/ AMD K6-2 500/100, 128Megs, etc...

The fix is to run MSCONFIG.exe. (Start, Run, in the "Open" window enter
"msconfig" and hit OK. Under the "General" tab select "Advanced" and then
make sure "Enable Pentium F0 (Lock CmpXchg) workaround" is marked. Hit "OK"
and "OK" again, then reboot.

I haven't had a system lockup since.

I hope that helps someone.

Grim