POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : images for the discution "Speaking of 3DS Max..." : Re: images for the discution "Speaking of 3DS Max..." Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: images for the discution "Speaking of 3DS Max..."
From: Fabian BRAU
Date: 8 Aug 2000 07:01:35
Message: <398FE878.CFF5A4DC@umh.ac.be>

> While I do not argue that the artist that made this image is talented, in fact
> I think he must me amazingly talented, given that this is one of the most
> realistic images I have scene. Remember the resources these guys are drawing
> from, I bet that most if not all of the texturing in that image was done with
> image maps taken from real world objects, real photo of moss on old wood,
> picture of real bricks, etc..,

has every profesionnal do :). This is a very good way to get realistic
picture but this is obviously not enough. All your object need to be
blend correctly in your images. Radiosity help a lot on this point.

> dd that with the complicated masking abilities
> of Max and you can create some amazingly realistic stuff with a minimum of
> effort,

Usually people says that Max dosn't give realistic result :).

>  though you still have to be REALLY good to do as good as this guy has
> done. I know because I have some experience with working with 3DS MAX. I once
> did an image of a leave, I went out into my garden, picked a leaf, came home
> scanned and scanned it in. Then I just made a Gray scale of the leaf for a
> bump map, use a silhouette for a mask and used the leaf itself as the image
> map. I had an amazingly realistic leaf in about 20 mins. The textures really
> make this image, I'd say almost 90% of the impact of the image is the
> textures. In Pov-Ray on the other hand we are working with procedural
> textures, I don't think you can compare the 2 fairly.

I use Pov-Ray a lot (this is the only renderer I use) and I use almost
exclusively images maps and now with uvmapping, all is ok with that.
So on this point you can compare :). Moreover, in this image there
no real difficult thing to model. This can be done in Pov. And
perhaps one can get this veru good result.
I just post this image to says that with 3dsmax (and with all
commercial software) on can get amazing result (some Pov-Ray
user still doubt about it :)). And Moreover commercial
software offer facilities to get very good result very quickly
(fast modeling, fast rendering but expensive :))

Fabian.