POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : images for the discution "Speaking of 3DS Max..." : Re: images for the discution "Speaking of 3DS Max..." Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: images for the discution "Speaking of 3DS Max..."
From: Thomas Lake
Date: 8 Aug 2000 04:53:24
Message: <398FCB1D.3DF39CD3@home.com>
While I do not argue that the artist that made this image is talented, in fact
I think he must me amazingly talented, given that this is one of the most
realistic images I have scene. Remember the resources these guys are drawing
from, I bet that most if not all of the texturing in that image was done with
image maps taken from real world objects, real photo of moss on old wood,
picture of real bricks, etc.., add that with the complicated masking abilities
of Max and you can create some amazingly realistic stuff with a minimum of
effort, though you still have to be REALLY good to do as good as this guy has
done. I know because I have some experience with working with 3DS MAX. I once
did an image of a leave, I went out into my garden, picked a leaf, came home
scanned and scanned it in. Then I just made a Gray scale of the leaf for a
bump map, use a silhouette for a mask and used the leaf itself as the image
map. I had an amazingly realistic leaf in about 20 mins. The textures really
make this image, I'd say almost 90% of the impact of the image is the
textures. In Pov-Ray on the other hand we are working with procedural
textures, I don't think you can compare the 2 fairly.

--
Come visit my web site:-) : http://www.geocities.com/~thomaslake/