POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Error! : Re: Error! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Error!
From: Peter Toneby
Date: 6 Aug 2000 19:15:20
Message: <398DF188.33490A16@acc.umu.se>
Steve wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2000 10:40:07 -0400, Warp wrote:
> >Steve <ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet> wrote:
> >: The .el files don't
> >: need to be compiled
> >
> >  but you'd better do it if you want any speed.
>
> Wasn't very helpfull of us was it.
>
> Open the .el file (in this case pov-mode.el) in emacs.  On my
> distro the .el files go in /usr/share/emacs/20.5/lisp/ you'll
> need write access to that directory so you'll probably have to
> su to root and then open the file.  When you have the file open
> there will be a menu called Emacs Lisp, in that menu there is
> an option "Byte Compile This File".  So do that and then exit
> emacs and exit from root, then open one of your pov files
> (this assumes that you've set up your .emacs file correctly).

I think it's better to say, open the file from the place you put it,
then follow the above instructions to bytecompile. It's not a good
practice to put anything in /usr/* except in /usr/local where
everything you add to the system should go, unless of course your
site has some other scheme for locally added software.

/Peter
--
Alpha Test Version:  Too buggy to be released to the paying public.
Beta Test Version:  Still too buggy to be released.