POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Error! : Re: Error! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Error!
From: Peter Toneby
Date: 6 Aug 2000 09:04:33
Message: <398D6261.D8600DCD@acc.umu.se>

> Ok, I surrender. Actually I have already surrendered
> I have managed to do syntax-highlighting with two editors but there are still
> flaws with them :
> <> Code Commander : too early in development to allow start rendre and return
> to script with hot-keys ( ie ALT+G)
> <> nedit : Great one but I still have to click on the picture and close the
> output window to go back to the script. ( there could be a way round, but I
> still have to find it)
>
> For Xemacs, I downloaded el files for both 'Official' and 'Unofficial'-pov.
>

> do you make Xemacs to ingest them ?
> I replaced the .emacs file found at /home with uv-pov.el -> nothing
> I replaced the .start-site file found at /etc/lib/...(I forgot) ..Xemacs...
> with uv-pov.el -> still nothing

download the pov-mode.el and put it in /home/.../lib/emacs where '...'
is your
username.
now put the following in you .emacs:
;;--- Start of file
; ... = your username
(setq load-path (cons "/home/.../lib/emacs/" load-path))
(require 'pov-mode)
;;--- end of file

now, to get syntax highlighting, follow the instructions below, but
enter the
programming->languages->pov group, and change the settings there to
something
you like (fontify insanly is recommended, that is the syntax
highlighting).

> It also specified that for one of the file, you have to byte-compile it ????
> How do you do that in Emacs.
> I am completely lost there.
>
> One more question when I look at the formulaes in your snapshot, does Xemacs
> automatically hightlight matching braces, brackets and parentheses as Nedit
> does ?

If you tell it to, it's called 'paren highlighting' in emacs-lingua.
To make it do so you should (starting up emacs) in Emacs do like this
(if in X):
Helpmenu->Customize->Browse Customizations Groups
expand (by clicking [+]) the Editing group
expand the Matching group
expand the Paren Matching group
expand Paren showing
click the [Option] Show Paren Mode, this opens a new buffer, in this
click
     [Toggle] and then [Save for future sessions]
click the [Option] Show Paren Style, click [Value Menu] in the new
buffer
     and select what style you want, then save this too.

if you are in console, then you can press meta and x (meta is usually
alt)
then type customize, and you should get something that looks almost the
same
as in X, but instead of a tree showing the groups you have to select
[Go to group], then it's the same way.

In XEmacs you just enter the Optionsmenu then paren highlighting and
what type
you want, finally you save the options, by using the save options in the
options
menu.

> I think it would be a great feature for the next version POVWIN.
yup, it's a very neat feature.

I hope you understand the directions I have given here...

/Peter Toneby
--
Alpha Test Version:  Too buggy to be released to the paying public.
Beta Test Version:  Still too buggy to be released.