POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Help again! : Re: Help again! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help again!
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 3 Aug 2000 20:35:30
Message: <398A107E.C8A5983C@mailbag.com>
Javier Belanche wrote:

> thanks for all, but I believe it more interesting for all begginners one
> basic tutorial of how install Pov Ray under Linux, step by step, don't you?
>
> Thanks again!

Modified from a previous post of mine:

If you're using the official version from either povray.org or the
latest IRTC CD, I can answer questions.  If you're used to RPM, you may
be entirely unfamiliar with the concept of a tarball.  Here's the short
version:

$ cd /wherever/you/put/the/download
$ tar xvfz povlinux.tgz
$ cd povray31
$ su
Password:
# ./install
# exit
$ cd
$ cp /usr/local/lib/povray31/povray.ini ~/.povrayrc

At that point, you should be ready to go.  I get some minor error
messages that don't really mean anything (mv: cannot remove directory
`povray31`).  If you have any other questions:

$ man povray
(read the manpage, especially for details on command-line usage)
$ less /usr/local/lib/povray31/povuser.txt
(read the documentation for how to use the scene description language if
it's unfamiliar)

3.5 will be quite a bit different, and the Linux binaries will also be
available as .rpm and .deb packages.  If you want some idea of what
those are going to look like, go to
http://www.mailbag.com/users/mtgordon/megapov.html

-Mark Gordon