POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why & has higher precedence than + or - in isosurface functions? : Re: Why & has higher precedence than + or - in isosurface functions? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why & has higher precedence than + or - in isosurface functions?
From: pk
Date: 2 Aug 2000 11:56:38
Message: <39884510.338B87F5@videotron.ca>
Whoa! sorry! 8)
Warp wrote:
>   Nope. In C a true value is 1 (for example the result of the sentence a==b
> is 1 if a is equal to b, else 0). When testing a conditional, any value
> other than 0 is considered true, and 0 is considered false.
Well, I said i wasn't sure... -1 and 0 must be for Basic, then...
>   In this context (0.5 AND -2.8) would be true because none of them is 0.
> This, however, has no mathematical meaning whatsoever. It hasn't any meaning
> in isosurface functions either (what would a 'true' or 'false' value mean
> in a function, may I ask?).
TRUE and FALSE having been declared before as constants, TRUE and FLASE
will have values...
>   It would make no sense in having a logical operator in a function anyways.
> Which function is 'true' or 'false'? How do you draw the function { true } ?
>   (No, I'm not talking about the povray keyword 'true' here.)
What do you mean? Isosurfaces are booleans for me: at location <x, y,
z>, there's a point(true, or 1), or there isn't any(false or 0)... So,
you have a function that draw a plane, and another one that draws a
sphere...
You AND them... the result? a circle... You & them... the result? a
circle...
In theory, it might not be the same, but let's ask the person who did
the patch about it...

Anyway, it's getting pretty hot in this thread...

I'm sorry if i offended you by assuming you had no programming
background... it just sounded like you only saw it from the
mathematician pt of view...

Paul
--
AKA paul_virak_khuong at yahoo.com, pkhuong at deja.com, pkhuong at