POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why & has higher precedence than + or - in isosurface functions? : Re: Why & has higher precedence than + or - in isosurface functions? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:15:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why & has higher precedence than + or - in isosurface functions?
From: pk
Date: 2 Aug 2000 10:14:06
Message: <39882D08.E5E6F36A@videotron.ca>
Warp wrote:

> pk <thi### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> :> uh... I always thought + meant AND...
> : .... i meant to say:"i always thought * (well, dot with valign=center)
> : meant AND...
>
>   Nope, they don't mean the same thing.
>   The function { x * y } is certainly not the same as function { x & y }
> (you can render them if you want to see the difference).
>   What you are saying in the first function is that a point <x,y,z> is inside
> the shape if and only if x*y < 0.
>   The the second case you are saying that a point <x,y,z> is inside the shape
> if and only if x < 0 and y < 0.
>   For example <-1,2,0> is inside the function { x * y } but it's not inside
> the function { x & y }.
Yeah, well, as Mr Parker pointed out, logic operators in CS and Logic
Maths aren't the same 8(
In CS, if i remember right, "+" is OR, "*"(well, a dot that's in the
vertical middle of the line) mean AND, and a "-" that's above the line
means not...

I wasn't saying * meant something else than multiply in computer
languages(except maybe APL 8), but that before, in all the litterature
i've read, AND was written the same as you'd write * in algebra...

Can't they make out a standard?!?!?!??!

Oh, well,
 Paul
--