POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 20000 miles under the sea (~83k) : Re: 20000 miles under the sea (~83k) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 00:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 20000 miles under the sea (~83k)
From: Tom Melly
Date: 1 Aug 2000 10:19:42
Message: <3986dc7e$1@news.povray.org>
"Bill DeWitt" <the### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> "Psychomek" <psy### [at] homecom> wrote :
> >
> > accually Jules Verne had it wrong to begin
> > with... it should be fathoms
>
>     Nope, fathoms is a measurement of depth, about 6 feet. To be 20000
> fathoms deep you would have to be over 20 miles deep. He meant leagues,
> about 50000 miles, that they traveled in their journey from place to
place.

Ah, a misconception on my part - I had always read the title as under = deep
as opposed to under = travelled underwater.

BTW I'll try and find a link, but there's a recent comic book called "League
of Gentlemen" featuring Nemo, Dr Jekyl, The Invisible Man, Alan Quartermain,
Mina Harker, and Mycroft Holmes ("M"). It has some beautiful illustrations
of the Nautilus. It also restores Nemo to his original nationality (Indian).