POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Animation system?? : Re: Animation system?? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation system??
From: pk
Date: 29 Jul 2000 19:43:44
Message: <39836C87.33958858@videotron.ca>
Well, i guess i wasn't very clear 8)
Yes, i was talking about a kinetic system, but one that would also let
you define the movement yourself(so you could move an object in a
completely impossible way)
And, yes i was talking about the looks_like keyword...

No, i don't think that it would be posible as macros, and a patch would
be completely out of context in POV, i think, so a front-end would be
good, i think.
One of the problems would be parsing the objects, and knowing what each
object looks like; we'd probably have to give place to meshes to
approximate the objects, and even USE meshes if the objects get
deformed...
The information needed(that i see for the moment) would be:
Mass
Elasticity
Object definition
Speed in a vector(x,y,z)
Start position

We could implement it with the clock and an array, but you'd lose the
ability to see objects deform when they bounce, etc, and cloth would
be... hard, to say the least 8)
So, we could:
1. emit a file for each frame(yuck, but if it's needed...)
2. emit include files for each frame, and then use arrays to choose
which one to include(or which part of the include file to use)
I think  that it'd be very hard to just do this with a text based
approach, so there should be a GUI... Damn: portability... or maybe use
a text based approach, like POV does with bezier patches, blobs, etc,
even though it'd be hard to do by hand, and just make GUIs for each
platform...

PS. Good luck with your patch, Mr. Krouverk!
[snip]
(for POV's server storage space's)
--
AKA paul_virak_khuong at yahoo.com, pkhuong at deja.com, pkhuong at