POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : isosurfaces interact badly w. other objects? : Re: isosurfaces interact badly w. other objects? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurfaces interact badly w. other objects?
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 29 Jul 2000 17:25:49
Message: <39834bdd@news.povray.org>
"ingo" <ing### [at] homenl> wrote in message

| Did you use the max_trace / all_intersections option in the isosurface?

Thanks, just tried it and unfortunately only a slower render.  I think
mostly I'm overly sensitive to the boundaries because the surfaces shift
from isosurface to flat plane suddenly.  About like having a blob of gelatin
in the corner of a room.  The change from smooth curving surface to
straight-lined wall is a large difference.
In fact if I do turn up the AA sufficiently there's a reasonable smoothing,
and I'm also neglecting to mention that jitter can't be used to break up the
stair steps of the jaggies either while doing animation.
I still see these darkened seams along the two surfaces which doesn't get
affected much, if at all, by AA but it's very view angle dependent.  Seen
from glancing angles it looks like separations almost.  This is a reflective
and semitransparent plane just like another time I saw this happening.
Again, I think Warp is totally right about the accuracy keyword.  Partly my
fault for being over zealous while working (playing) at this.

Bob