POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Erosion test (266k mpg) : Re: Erosion test (266k mpg) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:29:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Erosion test (266k mpg)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Jul 2000 16:12:16
Message: <39833AB5.AB1C3B46@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> Yep, it's viewable.
> I see squaring off in the lowest point near the camera and on the mountain
> opposite that.  Maybe that's what you are calling terracing, makes sense if
> so.  Resolution dependent or do you think it's something about the way
> height fields are made to begin with?  I know they seem to be built up of
> pairs of triangles arranged in a squared grid.

Not sure what you mean with "squaring off" but 3 points:

- the heightfield is generated with subdivision algorithm, that produces
rectangular structures

- ingo's code uses horizontal/vertical movement and no diagonal.

- HF resolution is only 256x256

maybe one of these is the reason for your observation.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>