POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : isosurfaces interact badly w. other objects? : Re: isosurfaces interact badly w. other objects? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:14:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurfaces interact badly w. other objects?
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 29 Jul 2000 15:45:16
Message: <3983344c@news.povray.org>
news:39832ecb@news.povray.org...
| Bob Hughes <per### [at] aolcom?subject=pov-news:> wrote:
| : Anyway, point is that at the borders, or lines as it were,
| : where a plane contacts a isosurface there is always a jagged line
regardless
| : of using antialiasing or not.
|
|   You are most probably just experiencing accuracy problems.
|   Isosurfaces are not calculated in a mathematically exact way, as most
other
| primitives are.

Oh dang it, I forgot that was said before too.  I had lowered the accuracy
quite a bit to only 0.001 from the 0.0001 I had used before.  Although,
seemed to me I had seen those jaggies even at 0.000001.  Just how small a
decimal is accuracy supposed to get to before being virtually infinite?  :-)
Had to check again, and yep, even at 0.00000001 I could see jaggies at the
plane/iso boundary.  Considerably smoother than at 0.001 but still obviously
shows the difficulty there is in tracing that boundary.
Hm, what about the 'contained_by' objects?  That have the same trouble?

Bob