POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Another flocking system : Re: Another flocking system Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another flocking system
From: Rune
Date: 28 Jul 2000 17:52:31
Message: <3982009f@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> Very cool.

Thanks!

> Is each individual actor aligned to its current velocity,
> or does it always point forward?

Both! ;-)
Each boid is aligned to the direction in which it is moving (which I would
call forward).

> I always went back to the drawing board when some code
> resulted in violently flicking actors.

I've tried that too. I'm not sure, but I think it happens mostly when boids
are forced to be pushed too mush into the ground, so I try to avoid that. It
also to help to use a higher number of "calculation frames".

> Part of your springy feel might just be that you're moving
> a lot faster than I am.

Yes maybe.

> How did you manage the "fly in among each other" effect?

At your animations page you show a flock that assembles itself into a single
chain with one track. My flock assembles itself into 4 chains with 6 tracks
each. However, the individual chains and tracks are not visible because of
the relative low number of boids, so it just looks like "complicated flock
behavior". It would also work for more boids, then I'd just have to raise
the number of chains and/or tracks per chain.

Greetings,

Rune
--
Updated July 23: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
3D images, include files, stereograms, tutorials,