POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Icy coast 2 (101 k) : Re: Icy coast 3 (radiosity) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 02:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Icy coast 3 (radiosity)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Jul 2000 10:22:08
Message: <3980459B.2CA32EAD@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Hans-Detlev Fink wrote:

> Thanks for the parms, Christoph!
>
> This is interesting. Just out of curiosity: Why do you use
> an external program? Speed?

It's faster to try different parameters and also easier.

In povray you have to render the scene to see the result.  Furthermore, if you
do not like a particular arrangement, you have to do some translate stuff to get
something different, I only have to take a different random seed.

> And how does this prog interface to pov? Do you import the
> result as a height-field?

Yes.

> I found that iso's get _very_ slow when superposing eg 3 or
> more RMFs, so using an external prog might speed it up a lot.

As i already said, i currently only use one RMF.  In my program, superposing 3
calculations would require 3x the time.  I expect, it's the same with an
isosurface.

> Eagerly waiting for Icy Coast 4 ...

It will probably come... sometime

Christoph