POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Alien Invasion v.0000000.0 (16kbbu teaser; link to 1.0 MB). : Re: Alien Invasion v.0000000.0 (16kbbu teaser; link to 1.0 MB). Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien Invasion v.0000000.0 (16kbbu teaser; link to 1.0 MB).
From: Rune
Date: 25 Jul 2000 21:17:30
Message: <397e3c2a@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> Thanks, yes, they are a bit tidy. I think I would change my "actave,"
> or attractive point, to be different for each and to travel with a z
> component that changes as a function of time. something like,
>
> #declare actave=<-460+time*constant,100, 10*sin(2*pi*(time/totaltime*4
> + particlenumber/#particles) >;

Ah, interesting. However, I would think that it would cause the boids to be
very tidy when the attractive point is very far away, and very untidy when
the attractive point is very close. Not an optimal solution, in my opinion.

I'm working on a boid system of my own (just started today), and I'm working
on similar problems right now. Among other things I found out that making
boid N attracted to boid N+1 and N-1 (as I suggested to you) assembles a
rather static chain. Not very smart! N+1 and N+1+number_of_boids/2 gives a
moebius chain! Interesting, but not very useful. I'm trying to find a way
that makes them look untidy in a random and natural way. I think I'm pretty
close now.

Look forward to see more of your work!

Greetings,

Rune
--
Updated July 23: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
3D images, include files, stereograms, tutorials,