POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Allowable Renderers : Re: Allowable Renderers Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:48:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Allowable Renderers
From: Tom Melly
Date: 25 Jul 2000 10:58:38
Message: <397dab1e$1@news.povray.org>
news:397d8d51@news.povray.org...
>   Is a painting program acceptable if it uses some depth information to
> calculate transparency and focal blur?

Depth info about what?

Okay, here's a scenario:

1. You paint a pic, using layers to which you can attach a particular depth
level.
2. You apply the focal blur based on this info.

It would seem to me that you could submit this to the IRTC provided that the
"source" included the picture from stage one. This would be the equivalent
of an image map being the bulk of a raytrace, and with correspondingly low
scores.

What you couldn't do is claim that the whole picture is
raytraced/algorithmised/whatever. No one could reproduce your submitted
picture without a copy of your picture prior to the focal blur. No algorithm
would exist for it.