POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Alien Invasion v.0000000.0 (16kbbu teaser; link to 1.0 MB). : Re: Alien Invasion v.0000000.0 (16kbbu teaser; link to 1.0 MB). Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:25:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien Invasion v.0000000.0 (16kbbu teaser; link to 1.0 MB).
From: Rune
Date: 23 Jul 2000 19:17:46
Message: <397b7d1a@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> As luck would have it, the flocking concept I was already
> working on may prove a nice fit with the IRTC topic of
> Alien Invasion.
>
> I tried all kinds of exotic algorithms. Nothing looked better than a
> simple repulsion from the surface at several points ahead along the
> current velocity of the particle.

Very nice!

I think it might look better with some more motion though. They might look
more alive and more alien if they flew in and out amongst each other.

A suggestion: Make each boid attracted to both boid N+1 AND boid N-1. And
make the attraction very weak. That way you would probably get a more
"alive" formation, but still avoid a visible chain formation.

Greetings,

Rune
--
Updated July 23: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
3D images, include files, stereograms, tutorials,