POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Finally, sPatch for Linux! : Finally, sPatch for Linux! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Finally, sPatch for Linux!
From: Ken Cecka
Date: 24 Jul 2000 22:15:23
Message: <397CF772.1C83A51E@alumni.washington.edu>
Well, not quite, but a close second.  Ever since I dumped windows off my
hard drive and switched over to linux, I've been free of windows
software.  But I've regligously installed every version of Wine that's
come along just to see if I could get sPatch up and running.  Several
versions back I got my hopes up when it didn't crash immediately, but
actually opened a window.  But none of the rendering (wire-frame or
shaded) worked.

I just installed the latest version of wine today, and was pleasantly
surprised to find not only wireframe fimally working, but the shaded
rendering as well.  I didn't have any luck with the openGL support, but
sPatch's internal renderer worked great.

I'm running wine version 20000716.  I didn't use any special options or
anything, just ran "wine spatch.exe", and after grumbling around with a
bunch of warnings about fonts, up came sPatch :)

Don't know if anyone else is as excited as I am, but just thought I'd
let y'all know.

Ken

P.S.  I looked around on the web, and was unable to find a working
sPatch home page.  I still have the zip file saved, but would be
interested to know if anyone has a current URL.