POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : How I made the Maze Ball Image. : Re: How I made the Maze Ball Image. Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How I made the Maze Ball Image.
From: Pabs
Date: 19 Jul 2000 22:09:11
Message: <39765E99.46FEAFAC@hotmail.com>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> Another way to do this is isosurfaces (with Megapov) :
>
> #declare r0=0.2;
> #declare hfs=function{pigment{image_map{png "mazepic" map_type 1 interpolate
> 2} }}
> #declare Maze=isosurface{function{x*x+y*y+z*z + r0*(1 - hfs(x,y,z))}
> threshold 1 eval max_gradient 60 contained_by{sphere{0,1}} texture{txtMaze}}
>
> (the max_gradient may have to be changed)

Really you should use image_pattern (esp with palletized images) because
image_map works differently to height-fields.
I found this out when I was trying to recreate a height-field scene with
isosurfaces (to make it smoother).  The lower parts (river) seemed to dip way
too much, which was because the values of red/green colours (used by image_map)
were lower than the palette index (used by image_pattern) and when I changed
over to image_pattern the correct shape occurred for both palette & rgb images.

--
Bye
Pabs