POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Object oriented POV scene language? : Re: Object oriented POV scene language? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object oriented POV scene language?
From: Disnel
Date: 19 Jul 2000 12:50:53
Message: <3975DC6C.3C023FF2@itam.cas.cz>
> This has been discussed many times, you might want to look at those
> discussions. There was one big one which started out in povray.general.

I readed something from this very, very long thread.
I remember some ideas from it:

1) Possibility to give a name to object and then use dot operator, like:

sphere {
  name "Sphere1"
}

Sphere1.texture= ....

  Persistent animations can be done with it, for example:

Sphere1.persistent=yes

  and in next frame:

Sphere1.translate(<somewhere>}

  or

Sphere1.delete()

  It has backwards compatibility, my first idea not.....

2) No one talked about virtual methods, although its big advantage, I
think.

3) XLM is good idea for sharing POV scene with modellers, converters and
   so on, but I think that is very unfortunate for hand-coding.

4) Interesting idea of breaking POV into two parts: parser and renderer,
   then can be simply parser for actual POV language, parser for XML...
   If we enlarge this concet, an XML emitor can be connected to parser
   instead of renderer, for example.

> A form of inheritance could be done by having every copy of an object
> get independant copies of its parent's members

This is true when you don't allow changing objects after they have been
parsed, but I think, that can be one great advantage, mainly in
persistent animations.

Regards

Disnel