POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV Plus ipf_profile problem : Re: MegaPOV Plus ipf_profile problem Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV Plus ipf_profile problem
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 18 Jul 2000 00:11:02
Message: <3973CAE0.332679B@peak.edu.ee>
Chris Huff wrote:

> So you run the simulation with inter-particle forces, then run it
> without, and *then* it aborts parsing? Sounds like some variable isn't
> being initialized...

Strange, it sometimes happens without running ipf previously (although that
seems to be a sure-fire way). Haven't found the connection yet.

> It isn't...the particles are points, with no size. "IPF" stands for
> Inter-Particle Forces. Basically, each particle is pushed toward or away
> from it's neighboring particles within the ipf distance, with a force
> that depends on the distance.

I see. Actually, I think this is sufficient in most cases, especially with
liquids. As for the "solid" particles - I don't think inter-particle collision
and deflection would be at all expensive for spherical particles, and
prohibitively expensive for most other shapes. What physical properties would be
needed? Collision is easy, deflection and impact energy absorption too, friction
I'm not so sure about... What else?

BTW, I found an interesting page discussing sorting algorithms for particle
systems (specifically kd-trees and Barnes-Hut trees). I saw no actual code, but
pretty informative nevertheless. The URL is:
http://physics.gmu.edu/~large/lr_forces/lr_general.html

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee