POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Camera lens aperture test (76k) : Re: Camera lens aperture test (76k) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 17:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Camera lens aperture test (76k)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 17 Jul 2000 18:31:01
Message: <39738925@news.povray.org>
"Dave Blandston" <gra### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
| I'm not sure I follow all that. You describe the blades as "semicircle,"
| while the ones in my wife's camera (which I'm trying to duplicate) are more
| like shark fin shapes (I think, anyway, I can only see part of them). I also
| tried twisting the blades a little to get the overlap, but that just caused
| other problems.
|
| May I see your code? I'm amazed that you were able to succeed so quickly...

Sure thing.  It didn't take long to get the basic idea modeled and rendered.
I've been away from the PC much of the day so sorry about the delayed reply
back.
You're describing what the shutter looks like on this old camera here.  It is
shark or dolphin fin shaped "petals".  I'm fairly sure most any apertures
though are open semicircles more or less anchored at one end (still a guess
because I never found a decent diagram of one and it could be totally wrong)
and a sliding pivot at the other.
I'll post these two animations I have which show very well how it operates,
even has the varying pivot slide as it goes inward then back out slightly and
in again.  I think people would be interested to see it.
What's wrong with it mostly is there needs to be at least some S-shaped
curvature to the leaves, or petals, as they weave together as you realized
already.  Without that it is hardly flat and even intersects at certain times.
I'll post the still sloppy pov script to povray.text.scene-files.

Bob