POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Normals in Pov : Re: Normals in Pov Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normals in Pov
From: John VanSickle
Date: 17 Jul 2000 18:11:54
Message: <397384C5.BBFD2ECC@erols.com>
Jason Miller wrote:

> Does Povray care about the winding of a mesh?  As in, does it use 1
> sided or 2 sided polygons?  If it uses one sided, how can this be set
> to 2 sided?

Triangles are two-sided, and the sides will be rendered differently if
there is a normal pattern applied.

For flat triangles the normal is derived from a cross-product of two
of the edge vectors (I presume) and therefore depends on the order the
vertices are defined.

For flat vectors the normal is derived by interpolation of the specified
vertex normals, and the order is unimportant.

Regards,
John
--
ICQ: 46085459