POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Normals in Pov : Re: Normals in Pov Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normals in Pov
From: Jason Miller
Date: 17 Jul 2000 13:17:32
Message: <39733fac$1@news.povray.org>
Warp,
    It is the visibility thing that I am concerned about.  And as far as
implimenting a raytracer, its very easy to make it one sided or two.
Anyways, the reason I ask is becuase a sphere that I used my program to
convert from another format to pov, only shows half of the polygons.  I know
for a fact that the other program that writes this format does not care
about winding.
Jason

> Jason Miller <jas### [at] pinheirotcimetnet> wrote:
> : Does Povray care about the winding of a mesh?  As in, does it use 1
sided or
> : 2 sided polygons?  If it uses one sided, how can this be set to 2 sided?
>
>   I suppose that a 1-sided polygon is (like, for example, in OpenGL) a
polygon
> that is seen only from one side. If the polygon is turned so that the
other
> side faces the camera, then it's not rendered.
>   Povray only uses 2-sided polygons (ie. they are rendered now matter how
they
> are rotated). I don't know of any plans of adding support for 1-sided
polygons
> to povray (I'm not even sure how easy it is to make in raytracing).
>
>   (I think that many people here will answer you with the
double_illuminate