POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Trouble with particle_system : Re: Trouble with particle_system Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:12:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trouble with particle_system
From: Mike Wilson
Date: 17 Jul 2000 09:10:21
Message: <39730597.FC0ED7E0@iastate.edu>
I've had similar problems.  Here's a snippet from an e-mail where I was
discussing this with another user.

<-----Begin----->
About 1 out of every 5 or 6 renders, the file will parse properly and the
render window will open, but then it just stops.  Breaking the render prints an
error about "no IDATs written to file."  I guess it's a png initialization
problem.

I've also had it do screwy things where the render is very slow and the
particles seem like they are doubled.

Also changing apparently unrelated code (e.g. camera angle statement) can cause
an error in "Minverse".

In all cases, simply trying the render again without changing anything seems to
work ok.

I also discovered that specifying a pigment pattern for temperature in the
particle_system block will cause a system crash unless you specify a color_map
to go with it.

Mass seems backwards to me.  Making the particles heavier seems to make them
more buoyant.

Mike Wilson