POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Millennium Falcon : Re: Millennium Falcon Server Time
2 Oct 2024 02:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Millennium Falcon
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 15 Jul 2000 12:23:51
Message: <39709017@news.povray.org>
Actually the main light is *very* far away :-)
Don't worry, I don't make such mistakes.  I know that a sun is very far
away.
It's the intensity of the light that isn't good.
Wait a minute, I'll answer in your text :-)

H. E. Day <Pov### [at] aolcom> schreef in berichtnieuws
01bfee6e$85828540$107889d0@daysix...
> Zeger,
> This is a wonderful model.  The only beef I've got is with the lighting.
Tnx!

> Let me share a secret with you.  The secret to great lighting is to
*never*
Wow, a secret, always nice :-)

> (and I do mean never) put a main light *anywhere* near the camera. This
I know.  I do this only when testing my objects...

> mistake is what makes those newbie 3DS and Lightwave rendering look so
> crappy.Here is what I suggest.
Hmmm...  Are you saying this render looks crappy?
:-(

> FaintFillLight Main Light
> Object
>
> Camera

Wait a minute... You put the main light on the other side of the model...
That way the camera is looking at an unlit side...
That's quite dark, isn't it?

> This is a top view of a lighting scheme that works pretty well.  The
faint,
> "fill" light (try <.2,.2,.25> and shadowless) would be at your current
main
Ah, like that...  I have fill lights, but they are on the other side. (and
also very far away :-)

> light location. Take the main light you have now and move it over to the
> other side of the model.  Also, bring it closer to the front.  You can
even
> leave the intensity at 1.5.  Or, alternatively, you could change the
> intensity to 1 and make a .5, shadowless, light at the same location.
This
> will give a slight radiosity effect with no render overhead.
Good idea.  I'll try this.

> I'm sorry if I sounded preachy, but this is the single lighting mistake
> that bugs me the most.
np
Always nice to hear some comments from an expert.  Even when they aren't all
that positive.
You see: I rather hear you say it's crap when you mean it, than say it's
good when you don't mean it.

> H.E. Day
> <><
Here's an idea: I give you the model and you turn it into an awesome image.
Whadayasay?

ZK
http://www.povplace.be.tf