POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Millennium Falcon : Re: Millennium Falcon Server Time
2 Oct 2024 02:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Millennium Falcon
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 15 Jul 2000 08:30:20
Message: <3970595c@news.povray.org>
ryan constantine <rco### [at] yahoocom> schreef in berichtnieuws
396FC34C.7356CE12@yahoo.com...
> good job!  care to share textures?  it might be educational.  what did
When it's finished, I'll share the source.

> you use as a guide?  what scale are you using?  my xwing is 1 unit = 1
I used The Essential Guide Te Vehicles And Vessels and *lots* of pictures
found on the net.  I don't really know what scale I'm using.  The same scale
I used for my previous model, but I don't think it's an easy-to-convert
scale ... :-(

> meter which makes the length 12.5 meters.  i have the falcon model and
> thought about doing this too.  how much more detail are you going to
Length is a problem with the Falcon.  Some say it's 28m, some say it's 35m
or anything in between...

> add?  did you use a modeller?  is anything animatable (landing gear,
Purely hand-coded.  Nothing is animatable right now.  There is no landing
gear and the radar-dish is temporary (but a bit animatable).

> radar dish, laser cannons, engine thrust, top hatch, main door)?  is the
The laser-cannons are temporary too.  You can set the brightness of the
engines thrust.  The tophatch is not animatable.  Maybe in the future.  The
maindoor isn't even modelled yet.

> top surface actually divided into many seperate plates?  is that how you
The armor-plating is there, yes.

> got the localized dirtiness?  i've started working on r2d2 as well as
Yep.  I used an image-pattern for it.

> planetary (or death star) explosions.  i also plan on modelling the
> death star (using sets like the movie; close, far, trench).
Wow.  That's a good idea!  Looks like StarWars: The POV-Ray Collection is
going to live again!

> > Oh, yeah...  The stats:
> >
> > 2619 frame level objects
> > Peak memory used: 9602538 bytes
> > Time For Parse: 3s
> > Time For Trace: 4h 40m 14s
> > GUI-priority: Highest
> > Render-priority: Lowest
> > On a PIII 450 with 64 MB RAM under W98SE
>

> how did you get your parse time so low with so many objects in the
> scene?  are there any meshes or patches?  my current object count is
All CSG.  No height_fields, no isosurfaces.  I don't know how it can be
parsed so fast.  I don't really care, actually :-)

> over 1300.  you've got double that but mine takes 15 sec to parse.
> hmmmm...
Strange...  Maybe becaused I used a lot of loops and some macros (for the
armor plating)?

ZK
http://www.povplace.be.tf