POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : draping image over height field : Re: draping image over height field Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: draping image over height field
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 12 Jul 2000 00:08:19
Message: <396bef33@news.povray.org>
"Eric Fielding" <eri### [at] sierrasjplnasagov> wrote in message

| I see PICT (MacOS), PNG, Targa, PPM, and QuickTime (MacOS). I was hoping
| for TIFF or JPEG since those are the ones I use most, but I think I can
| get my images into PNG or PPM format.
|
| I assume that POV can read all of the formats that it can write (except
| QuickTime, of course)?

Jpeg format has always been tossed about as something POV-Ray should have (not
by any developers I suppose though?) but it always comes down to the fact it
is such a lossy file format it gets passed by.
I think you're safe to say that anything it outputs it reads as well.  People
have also talked plenty about a Mpeg or Avi output for the Windows platform
(among others too I guess).  Same subject comes up though about doing a
lengthy hard-working rendering of frames only to end up with a possible
problem dealing with compressed images and no way to get back to original
uncompressed images.
Call it fool-proofing if you will  :-)
Happy to hear you are getting to where you're going there.

Bob