POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Animplugin gotchas... : Re: Animplugin gotchas... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animplugin gotchas...
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 13 Jul 2000 08:36:01
Message: <396DB9BB.46E256C8@mitre.org>
"K. Lasse" wrote:

> There's an aspect of the animplugin that I'm finding can be annoying at
> times. This is the fact that it uses the current status in Moray to create
> the animations. While this may have many advantages, it can be frustrating
> when you happen to click on something, changing it accidentally within Moray
> while the animation is being generated. This causes the animplugin to access
> the latest state that it finds Moray to be in and uses that to continue with
> the animation run.

Yup - that's a problem when rendering an animation with POV-Ray.  If you
are using the built in renderer, that shouldn't happen.

I don't really have much choice in the matter - in order to use POV-Ray
to render, I need to have Moray export the scene (which triggers the
export of other plugin information as well).  That means that I need to
step from frame to frame, exporting and rendering.

One approach is to lock down editing during the rendering of an
animation.  Lutz could probably provide a function to do that by adding
"if ()" statements in hundreds of places in Moray.  Another approach
would be to essentially spawn a separate version of Moray with the .mdl
file as of the point that rendering was invoked, then use the separate
version (which would be hidden) to do the animation.

No matter what, this is a problem that will take quite a bit of coding
on both sides of the plugin interface.

> One really annoying thing that kinda goes along with this is the fact that
> the animplugin doesn't change the type of motion of a newly selected entity
> to its own setting...

Oh, that's a bug.  I'll add to the list.

Xander