POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : draping image over height field : Re: draping image over height field Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: draping image over height field
From: Eric Fielding
Date: 11 Jul 2000 23:55:26
Message: <396BEB7C.C96D9B77@sierras.jpl.nasa.gov>

Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Of course it does.  Go to Edit-> Render Settings->Output->Save Image As.

I see PICT (MacOS), PNG, Targa, PPM, and QuickTime (MacOS). I was hoping
for TIFF or JPEG since those are the ones I use most, but I think I can
get my images into PNG or PPM format.

I assume that POV can read all of the formats that it can write (except
QuickTime, of course)?

> Just remember that image_map and height_field are on two different planes.
> Images go onto the xy plane and HF onto the xz plane.  So you will need to
> rotate the image down onto the HF by doing a rotate 90*x in the pigment
> statement.
> Short example:
>
> height_field { tga "dempic.tga"  // the dem data
>   pigment {
>    image_map { tga "picdem.tga"}  // the satellite image
>    rotate 90*x }  // fold image over onto HF surface (both are 1 unit square)
>  scale <300,3,300> // xz resolution (width/height) of images used, y being
> vertical scale size
> }
>
> Both start out square with their lower-left and near-left corners at <0,0,0>
> so to scale up will go to that number of units far-right on the xz plane.
> Doing a translate <-0.5,0,-0.5> before the scaling will center it.
> Hope that's of some use to you.

This looks like exactly what I need to get started. Thanks!!

Cheers,

				++Eric