POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Particle Waterfall Test Image : Re: Particle Waterfall Test Image Server Time
1 Oct 2024 22:27:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Particle Waterfall Test Image
From: Mike Wilson
Date: 11 Jul 2000 09:34:00
Message: <396B222C.9B2802B4@iastate.edu>
Agreed.  This image doesn't quite correspond to my original idea.

I had planned to to put the source further "upstream" and just give the particles
enough push to reach the edge of the dropoff and let gravity take over.  I had
thought that a low elasticity and small environment collison factor would make
them flow along the top of the falls, but apparently the particle system doesn't
work quite like that.

The particles just dropped right through the falls object unless I gave them a
fairly significant downstream velocity (equal to gravity) and made the collision
factor fairly large.  As it stands now, the particles are already within the
collision zone as they exit the emitter.  Gravity and intial velocity drive them
into the falls object at a 45 degree angle where they immediately collide.  Since
elasticity is set fairly high, they bounce back up again and go over the edge.
(At least I think that's what's happening.)  It might look ok if there was a rock
or something there that would justify this, but as I said, this was just a test.