POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : q on isodonuts : Re: q on isodonuts Server Time
1 Oct 2024 22:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: q on isodonuts
From: David Fontaine
Date: 10 Jul 2000 14:26:12
Message: <396A1393.6C09BD89@faricy.net>
hall wrote:

> Well, I have been playing around with isosurface donuts, and found something
> puzzling.  The attached image (source code below) is of three isosurface
> torii (donuts) that have, so far as I can tell, mathematically equivalent
> functions.  Can anyone see why these functions produce different results?
> Please excuse the inconsistent notation in the code--> I am still messing
> with it, and have not prettied it up.

I don't know, but the code looks a bit excessive. I define torii by
sqrt((sqrt(x^2+z^2)-major)^2+y^2)-minor
First it creates a cirle of sorts around the y axis, then takes the distance
from that circle. It works with negative radii too, so you can get just the
spindle of a spindle torus.

--
David Fontaine     <dav### [at] faricynet>     ICQ 55354965
Please visit my website: http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/