POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My version of the (semi)photorealistic torus thingie : Re: My version of the (semi)photorealistic torus thingie Server Time
1 Oct 2024 22:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My version of the (semi)photorealistic torus thingie
From: Edward Coffey
Date: 8 Jul 2000 22:25:24
Message: <3967e294@news.povray.org>
<snip>
> Mmmh.  I don't think that the Mandelbrot set is chaotic.
<snip>
> Chaos is characterized by it's sensitivity to initial conditions,
<snip>

As I understand it, the Mandelbrot set is not chaotic because it is a static
entity and chaos is a property of dynamic systems.  However the system that
generates the Mandelbrot set is chaotic (sensitive to initial conditions).
People often omit the word 'set' and use 'Mandelbrot' to refer to both the
set and the system that generates it, so 'the Mandelbrot' can be thought of
as chaotic.