POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Normal perturbation algorithm : Re: Normal perturbation algorithm Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal perturbation algorithm
From: Warp
Date: 7 Jul 2000 19:05:13
Message: <39666228@news.povray.org>
Mark Wagner <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:
: I think this is the new normal calculation method used for isosurfaces.

  Wow! Does megapov have a function derivation routine? Kewl.

: However, it wouldn't be very useful for patterns.  How would you calculate
: the derivative of the noise3d function?  Many of the basic patterns use
: this, and most of the ones that don't use a special function to calculate
: the normal instead of the pyramid method.  Additionally, how would you
: handle slope_maps other than the default map?  How would you handle waveform
: modifiers?

  I'm not sure but I have the feeling that it may not be impossible (nor
difficult) to calculate the correct vector from the function value, it's
default normal and the slope map and waveform. I may be wrong, of course.